Don't Touch The Water!

Of all the image captions I've ever written, this one easily faced the most hurdles prior to release. The first version was a single large caption supported by one long gif, however although it was intended as a Twitter caption the file size was way too large for that to work. As such, I instead chose to post it as an extra story on my old blog.


However, when I moved from my old blog to my new one, there were further complications. The image host I was using also wouldn't accept the full file since it was too big. But because I loved the story and still wanted to include it on my blog, I chose to break it down into three shorter captions each supported by a separate section of the original gif. This had the serendipitous result of reducing the file size enough that each section was now small enough to post on Twitter, which I did at a later date. 

Overall, it is one of my all time favourite captions that I've ever written and has sparked multiple follow-up stories focused on the same concept. So while it took a lot of effort to get it to work, I'd say it was all worth it. 




Comments